I rarely talk about supplements in isolation, but magnesium is one nutrient that the majority of people are deficient in. This can be caused by a lack of magnesium rich food, but most likely it is due to the stress that is put on our systems. Some foods that are magnesium rich include kelp, almonds, cashews and green leafy vegetables. Some indications that you may be deficient in magnesium according to the web site, www.drhyman.com, include the following:
- I am tired often
- I have trouble falling asleep or have insomnia.
- I am sensitive to loud noises
- I have fewer than two bowel movements a day
- I have asthma
- I experience muscle twitching
- I experience leg or hand cramps.
- I frequently experience headaches or migraines.
- I have PMS most months
- I have restless leg syndrome
- I frequently feel irritable
- I have depression and/or anxiety
- I have acid reflux
- I have a lot of stress in my life
- I have ADD or autism
- I experience heart flutters, skipped beats, or palpitations.
There is more to this list, but this just gives an indication of how many functions of our bodies are affected by this one mineral. If you find that you experience numerous symptoms listed above, it might be worth speaking to your health practitioner to see if supplementing with magnesium may be beneficial. Have a great day! Shanna