I am going to one more blog on the List Maker's Get-Healthy Guide
by the author's of Prevention. This week's topic is "Top 10 Smart Health Moves". I chose this list, just because it is eclectic. There are items that we don't think of when it comes to health. The following 10 items were given by the authors as great ways to improve overall health:
- Eat Dinner with Your Family: This is important for both the nutrition factor and for connecting with our families.
- Practice Deep Breathing: This is especially important when we are under additional stress.
- Laugh: Laughing helps relieve stress and balances our hormones.
- Tell Someone "I Love You": This helps us think about others, and caring for others can be a stress reliever.
- Stretch: I recommend stretching first thing in the morning and throughout the day (our dogs do this automatically!)
- Do the Pinch Test: If you can pinch more than an inch of fat on your abdomen, it is a good indication that you may need to lose some weight.
- Park Your Car and Walk: We hear this one a lot, and it does pay off!
- Take a Multivitamin: I would add vitamin D, fish oil, and a probiotic to this list for most people.
- Floss Your Teeth: This can cut down on inflammation in the body.
- Get Enough Sleep: Sleep rejuvenates all body function and is very important to health.
The best thing that we can do is to be happy. This is the time of the year to pay attention to our mental health. In Minnesota, many times we fall under the winter blues, but we don't have to feel that way. Many times, it is necessary to take more supplements, eat better and improve our exercise habits in order to feel good when the days are short. Have a great day - Shanna