The Truth About Food by Jill Fullerton-Smith
The author's first chapter of her book is called, How to Be Healthy. Many people that I see will begin taking a probiotic (friendly bacteria) to help balance their guts. The author gives us a little background information on why friendly bacteria is so important for our systems:
- There are about 100 million million bacteria in your gut, adding just over 2.2 pounds to your body mass.
- A few hundred differentt species are present, however, only around forty species account for the majority of the bacteria in your gut flora, and most of them are beneficial.
- The good bacteria survive by fermenting dietary fiber, found in foods of plant origin.
- If you are ill stressed, very tired, or taking antibiotics, your gut flora suffers.
- To maintain the positive efffects on your gut flora, you need to take probiotics and prebiotics regularly.